This is a unique chance to obtain a high growth potential role that is charged with meaningfully shaping public spaces, co-developing an innovative and values-based urban planning + design practice, and driving significant positive change regionally and beyond.
Deadline to apply: open until filled, first round of applications will be reviewed on April 30. Applications must be sent to email@example.com and include:
- One(1) page cover letter covering why you are drawn to the role and what you will bring to it
- Work samples / portfolio
The Musicant Group
The Musicant Group is a purpose-driven interdisciplinary firm dedicated to “creating places where people want to be.” We are actively pioneering a more holistic approach to the creation of place that integrates events, communications, design, community engagement, and management systems. Through this approach, we are growing a new type of community building practice that prioritizes the human experience in place and the connection to one-another. In joining us, you’ll be part of a team that’s living our values, making systemic change, and having fun while doing it.
As a company our values are to:
- Treat everyone as a leader
- Foster continuous improvement of ourselves, our organization, and the communities we serve
- Advance placemaking practices by demonstrating a better way
- Create community through relationships and cycles of gift giving
The Musicant Group team members are:
- Passionate about our work
- Care about each other and the people and places that we serve
- Growth minded
Strong candidates will be motivated and energized by:
- The process of changemaking (a must)
- Building community and culture within commercial and public spaces
- Supporting the growth of our organization and team members
- Collaborating with an interdisciplinary team
Role Description: Project Manager – Urban Planning + Design
The Musicant Group seeks someone with a passion for public spaces, strong project management stills, and experience in urban planning and/or design. This is a unique chance to meaningfully shape public spaces, be on the ground floor of co-developing an innovative urban planning + design practice, and drive positive change regionally and beyond.
This position will be part of a small entrepreneurial team that:
- Creates plans, assessments, and recommendation reports for districts and individual public and shared spaces
- Crafts site and concept plans for public and common areas
- Designs and executes community engagement strategies
- Manages and implements demonstration projects, pilots, and installations
- Meaningfully contributes to business development efforts via relationship building, proposal creation, and RFP responses
The position will both serve as the primary project manager for their own projects, as well as support fellow Design + Planning and Community Management colleagues around their relevant efforts. Clients will include public sector agencies focused on public spaces, transportation, and economic development, community organizations and commercial real estate owners looking to create dynamic shared spaces.
We are looking for someone special who is excited to be part of, and help grow, an innovative and values-driven practice. Someone who has been hungry to work more holistically. Who wants to bridge the divides between planning, design, construction, operations, and end-use. Someone who is excited about the chance to build upon our organization’s foundation in order to create better services and designs to improve our world. We are looking for someone who puts people first, who values empiricism over abstract theory, and who knows that good processes lead to good outcomes.
The primary responsibilities of the position will be:
- Creating and managing budgets, schedules, project plans, subcontractors and partners
- Designing concept and site plans for public and common area spaces
- Writing plans and reports focused on individual spaces, districts, and communities
- Creating graphics for reports, site designs, wayfinding and communication purposes
- Building strong client relationships and coordinating multiple partners and stakeholders
- Managing tactical site improvements and small construction projects, including soliciting bids, coordinating site work, and obtaining permits
- Sourcing furniture, fixtures, and equipment
- Designing and conducting innovative community engagement and activation events
- Participating in workshops, pilots and demonstration events
- Collaborating on proposals for future projects
Skills, and Experience
While not a complete list, the more of the following skills and experiences demonstrated, the more strength it lends your application and the higher compensation potential.
- 3-7 years experience in architecture, landscape design, urban planning, interior design and/or engineering fields
- Creating and managing budgets, schedules, and 3rd parties
- Working with and presenting to clients and community audiences
- Direct experience in the creation, care, and/or improvement of public, shared, and common area spaces
- Working familiarity with the practices of placemaking and tactical urbanism
- Demonstrated ability to communicate ideas, concepts, and spaces graphically
- Basic rendering and design skills
- Multilingual a plus
- Comfort with project management and Adobe suite software
- $55,000 – $65,000 salary, depending on experience
- Benefits include: health care insurance, paid maternal/paternal leave, 4 weeks vacation, disability insurance, and technology support.
- First round of applications will be reviewed on April 30
- While the position is open until filled, our goal is to have the person start by the end of May