The Urban Land Institute Minnesota (ULI MN) is seeking a student intern interested in a research and development project associated with the Regional Council of Mayors (RCM) Housing Initiative. The internship will include the research and review of local and national tools and strategies for local governments that support a full range of housing choices. The purpose of the program is to provide tools and strategies, primarily through HousingCounts.org, that encourage communities to support good land use decisions and policies that include a diversity of housing. The selected intern will have access to excellent local ULI MN members and will be invited and encouraged to attend ULI meetings and events. This internship is designed to provide opportunities for a student to make contacts in the urban land use, local government and housing fields. In addition, the intern will learn about local and national tools and strategies that are needed for successful community development and the production and preservation of housing in a suburban context with an emphasis on regional connections to jobs and transportation networks. The work will include updating a dataset of local case studies and best practices for housing tools and strategies and ensuring connections to these projects within HousingCounts.org.
- Student pursuing a degree in Urban Planning, Community Development, Nonprofit Management, Real Estate or related field. Graduate student preferred, but undergraduate junior and senior students are also encouraged to apply.
- High motivation and a willingness to learn are essential. Must be able to work independently on assigned tasks.
- Proficiency with word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and website management through WordPress.
- Strong written and verbal skills, task oriented, flexible, and reliable.
Flexible schedule with independent work hours to satisfy the school’s internship and/or credit requirement (if applicable). Time commitment includes approximately 8-10 hours per week of independent research time and program development with office meetings 2-3 times per month. Internship can begin January 2018 and will last one semester or until the project is complete.
- Complimentary one-year membership in the Urban Land Institute
- Gain professional skills in community development with a specific focus on learning the tools and strategies needed to support quality land development that supports a full range of housing choices.
- Become involved and connected with the Urban Land Institute professionals in land use planning and development as well as local government community development.
- Complimentary registration to ULI Minnesota events during the internship.
- Any required parking and transportation costs will be reimbursed by ULI/MN.
For more information or to submit a resume and cover letter, contact Cathy Bennett, ULI MN at email@example.com or call 612-670-8147.
About the RCM Housing Initiative:
The RCM Housing Initiative, which is supported by funding from the Family Housing Fund, builds on the collaborative relationships among RCM and ULI MN professionals to identify and implement best practices that support a full range of housing choices—a diverse mix of housing types, sizes, and prices within the region, within cities and where possible, within neighborhoods—for economic stability and regional prosperity. RCM, ULI MN and professionals involved in housing—developers, architects, non-profit organizations, municipal staff and elected officials—created the Housing Initiative in 2007 along with key resources through housingcounts.org and the redevelopment ready guide.