The City of Saint Paul’s Department of Planning and Economic Development is seeking to hire a Principal City Planner to join a team that is passionate about building a vibrant and dynamic Saint Paul by leveraging the strengths of a diverse urban core city.
Information about this position:
This is an exciting opportunity to plan for public systems, guide neighborhood and business developments, and facilitate the creation of healthy communities as Saint Paul continues to grow and change into the future.
The Principal City Planner will be a part of the Planning Division and will be responsible for leading multi-faceted redevelopment planning for the 135-acre former Ford assembly plant property. The successful candidate will be an innovative, big picture thinker focused on strategic implementation with a diverse group of project partners, policy makers and civic leaders. This position will serve as lead staff to the Ford Project and perform other planning duties as assigned.
This application process will also generate a list of eligible candidates for future hiring needs not related to the Ford site redevelopment.
This position works under the direct supervision of the Planning Director and the Director of Planning and Economic Development.
The Principal City Planner will be responsible for the following activities directly related to the Ford Project:
- Advancing implementation of the City’s vision for the Ford site redevelopment as identified in the Ford Site Zoning and Public Realm master plan
- Working directly with a variety of stakeholders, including Ford Motor Company, City Council, Mayor’s Office, community members and the future master development team
- Leading an inter-departmental City staff team moving the redevelopment forward
- Identifying new strategic partners and alliances and cultivating them for project implementation
- Overseeing project related studies and consultant teams
- Meeting regularly with public, civic and stakeholder groups to provide project information and updates, through formal presentations, focus group exercises or informal conversation, including preparation of materials and presentations
- Managing the formal City review and approval process through Planning Commission, Mayor’s Office and City Council of the chosen developer’s proposed master plan and individual development projects
- Overseeing an annual project budget and soliciting financial and technical assistance from foundations, organizations and state and federal agencies for project related activities
In addition, the Principal City Planner will be responsible for:
- Analyzing and developing policy proposals for neighborhood and citywide comprehensive plans, redevelopment programs, urban design guidelines, and land use regulations
- Reviewing and providing guidance to developers, other City staff, and community members on redevelopment projects
- Leading interdepartmental staff teams for large or complex projects, programs or policies
- Researching and writing zoning staff reports and recommendations
- Collecting data and information and coordinating field surveys on various planning topics
Writing and editing plans, reports, presentations and making public presentations on planning work and recommendations.
This position will be posted through January 24, 2018. To apply, please visit www.stpaul.gov/jobs.